Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Liberal Studies Program: Home

This guide provides detailed information about the Liberal Studies A.A. program, including more about the Block Transfer program, FAQs, and transfer to four-year universities.

Answers to your questions about the Liberal Studies A.A. degree

The Liberal Studies Associate of Arts degree is designed to facilitate student transfer to a four-year university. Students in Liberal Studies complete core requirements common at most four-year universities while exploring and developing academic interests. For the most up-to-date information, see the current year of the YCCC Catalog, or browse the degree requirements published here. This page offers additional information about the program, including information on the Transfer Block, and future employment prospects, along with Frequently Asked Questions.

What is the Transfer Block?

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Liberal Studies

Will my courses transfer?

With the exception of developmental  (pre-college) math and English courses like ENG 095 and MAT 092, your courses generally transfer to four-year universities,  either as direct course equivalencies or as “general elective” credits” that count towards your bachelor’s degree.  For a course to transfer, students need to earn a grade of at least C or C- (depending on the requirements of the receiving institution).  If you encounter an issue later in your academic career with a course transfer, contact your YCCC advisor or the Academic Affairs office so that we can advocate on your behalf.

What is the “Transfer Block”?

The Transfer Block is a defined set of general education requirements that transfer into all University of Maine System and Maine Community College System institutions. YCCC’s Liberal Studies Associate of Arts degree is designed around the Transfer Block, although the YCCC degree requirements exceed those of the 34-credit Transfer Block. Students who complete all the requirements of  the Transfer Block at YCCC have completed the bulk of their general education requirements at all of Maine's public institutions. Maine's universities may require up to additional 11 credits of general education credits specific to their program, or to a specific bachelor's degree.

Do I need to complete my Liberal Studies degree to meet the Transfer Block requirements?

No, you do not.  As long as you meet the specific requirements of the Transfer Block, you will meet most core general education requirements at the seven University of Maine campuses, as well as at all MCCS campuses.  Completing the Transfer Block, however, does not guarantee admission to a particular university. Also, four-year institutions may require up to 11 additional general education credits (approximately 3 to 4 courses). 

How can my Academic Advisor help me?

Your Faculty Academic Advisor can help you select courses that meet your academic goals and which fulfill Transfer Block and degree requirements.  S/he can also provide guidance on transfer, and direct you to a variety of other college resources.

Which college-level math course should I take?

Within the University of Maine System, all college-level math courses fulfill the Transfer Block requirement for mathematics.  However, specific academic majors may require a particular math course.  In general, MAT 127, College Algebra, is a good choice if you plan on majoring in fields like engineering that requires calculus or other advanced mathematics courses.  MAT 122, Finite Math, is a good choice for students interested in the arts and humanities. Students interested in social science majors like Psychology or Political Science will eventually have to take a statistics course.  Both MAT 127, College Algebra, and MAT 122, Finite Math, serve as prerequisites for MAT 210, the statistics course at YCCC, and at most other colleges.  We recommend consulting with your Academic Advisor, or with the transfer counselor at the four-year institution to which you are planning to transfer.

Which lab science course should I take?

All four-credit lab science courses fulfill the lab science requirement for the Transfer Block.  Scientific Inquiry (SCI 110), General Chemistry I (CHM 106/107), General Biology I (BIO 106/107) and Marine Biology (BIO 105) are all good choices for students who do not intend to major in science or health-care related fields.  However, some majors require specific courses; for example, many psychology bachelor degree programs require that students complete a  General Biology course such as BIO 106/107, General Biology with Lab.

What is an “open elective”?

An open elective is any course in the YCCC catalog, including courses in professional and technical programs. Open electives give students the opportunity to further explore their interests in both the liberal arts and in career fields like business, computer technology, or education. 

Are there “concentrations” within Liberal Studies?

Currently, the YCCC Liberal Studies degree does not define “concentrations” in specific academic fields, but you can work with your Academic Advisor to plan a course of study that includes a cluster of subject-specific courses  that will facilitate transfer into a particular major or program at a four-year institution. 

What colleges can I transfer to?

Students can apply to transfer into almost any college in the United States or Canada. However, students must apply to transfer and may or may not be accepted at a particular 4-year institution, especially for universities and colleges to which admission is highly competitive.  YCCC students are regularly accepted for into University of Maine System institutions, and to many other private and public colleges in New England and around the country.

Who can help me with applying to transfer?

Along with your Academic Advisor, YCCC’s Career and Transfer Services Director and visiting transfer counselors from other institutions provide assistance and advice to students in navigating the transfer process.  For more information, click on the "Transfer/Careers" Tab at the top of the page.

What is an articulation agreement and how do these agreements help students transfer?

An articulation agreement is a signed transfer agreement between two institutions that spells out specific courses that students need to take if they want to efficiently transfer into a particular college or university.  YCCC has many articulation agreements with private colleges and universities, and with public out-of-state universities. For Liberal Studies, the Transfer Block is the primary articulation agreement with the University of Maine System, although we also have a variety of additional articulation agreements in fields like Business, Computer Science, and Early Childhood Education.  The complete list of YCCC articulation agreements is published here

What is the MaineStreet course equivalency tool?

MaineStreet is a University of Maine System Tool that students can search to learn how specific courses at YCCC transfer into the various UMaine institutions. This feature is most useful if you know you are focusing on a particular major – for example, Psychology – and you want to be sure that you are taking courses that will fulfill specific requirements for that major. Bear in mind that because curriculum and courses are updated on a regular basis, the tool is not always up-to-date.