Skip to Main Content SSC banner SSC banner

The Student Success Commons at York County Community College: Student Accessibility and Counseling Services

Student Accessibility Services

Do you have a documented disability that may or does interfere with your college education? If so, please do the following: Students are requested to contact Student Accessibility Services and schedule an appointment once they have been accepted to YCCC and plan to attend.

Contact Information

You can also visit the Accessibility Services page on the main YCCC website for the most up-to-date information.


Once your accommodations have been reviewed by Michele Gallagher, Coordinator of Accessibility Services, your letter of accommodation will be written.  Once you have received the accommodation letter, you (the student) will send it to your faculty through your YCCC email. You may choose to send all your accommodations or send specific accommodations to specific courses. If you choose not to send your letter, then faculty will not know your accommodations.  

Please keep in mind that for your accommodations to be implemented, letters must be sent:  

  • As close to the beginning of each semester as possible (you can send letters later, but some accommodations take time to implement)  
  • For each course, you are enrolled in, especially if you change courses or switch course sections  

It is highly recommended that you follow up with your instructors after you send your letter. This will help ensure that your accommodation needs are met within each individual course.  

If you are seeking accommodations, please visit: Michele Gallagher, Coordinator of Accessibility Services, will discuss your next steps once the request and documentation has been provided. You can also email her at 

Here is a sample email to help you make that connection with your professor.   

Hello Professor,     

I have been working with Accessibility Services and have received academic accommodations. I have attached my accommodation letter to this email (be sure to attach the letter!) but also have provided a brief summary below.  

 My accommodations consist of: (Insert your own; these are just examples)  


• 50% Extended time on exams   

• Extensions on assignments- I understand that this is to be used sparingly, and I will email you in advance to be able to work out the details on how to implement this accommodation.    

Please let me know if you have any questions.    



(Your Name)  

Transitioning from High School to College

The transition from high school to college can present changes and challenges for all students. Students with disabilities may find those challenges especially overwhelming.  The responsibilities of college are significantly different from those of public school districts, which often can make the transition from high school to college-level difficult, but not if you understand from the start what types of accommodations are available at the college level.

Differences Between High School and College for Students With Disabilities:


High School College
High school personnel have the responsibility to try to modify inappropriate behavior caused by the disability into appropriate behavior. Students are responsible for their own behavior and inappropriate behavior is not tolerated
Tests are often modified, shortened or questions are modified. Students are expected to take the same tests as all students
Shortened or modified assignments, as well as extra time to complete assignments, are often given. Students are expected to do the same work in the same time frame as all students.
Teachers are asked to adapt their teaching mode to the student. Faculty has academic freedom on delivery, course content, requirements, and method of evaluation.
Accommodations are given for all subjects and do not have to be supported by diagnostic evaluation. Accommodations are given only in the area of disability and must be supported by documentation.
Students are scheduled to see Resource personnel on a regular basis or can go to the resource room on a drop-in basis. Students must initiate requests for services.
Students’ studies are directed by special education teachers. Students must have skills to organize, plan and study independently.
Special educators inform instructors about a student’s accommodation needs. Students talk to their instructors about accommodation needs.


High School College
Services are provided under IDEA or Section 504, Subpart D. Services are provided under ADA and Section 504, Subpart E.
The IEP is mandated and followed. The high school IEP ends and there is no IEP at the college level.
The student has a right to an education, paid for by the State.  Therefore, special programs are created to meet the student’s needs. A college education is a privilege instead of a right and special programs are not required.
Parents are actively involved in planning and decisions. Students are considered adults and should advocate for themselves.  Parents’ involvement should be secondary.
Accommodations are provided to ensure the success of the student. Accommodations are provided to ensure equal access and success is the responsibility of the student.
School Districts are responsible for identifying and evaluating the disability at no cost to students or families. The student must self-identify and provide appropriate and current documentation based on the College’s requirements.  The College is not responsible for the cost of evaluations.
Parents sign documents for students. Students sign for themselves.
High school personnel talk freely with parents. The Buckley Amendment requires that the student give written permission to personnel to talk with parents.


High School College
Transportation is provided. Transportation and mobility on campus is the responsibility of the student.
Often paraprofessionals are provided if a student needs personal care or behavioral management assistance. The college is not responsible for providing personal care or behavioral management assistance.
Adaptive technology is minimally used. Students are expected to use available adaptive technology.
Few students are exposed to textbooks in alternative formats because special educators clarify reading selections. Students may be provided texts in alternate formats if their documentation supports this accommodation.
Adapted from St. Louis Community College

Accommodation Inquiries and Requests

Students can disclose their disability to the Office for Student Disability Services at any time while enrolled at York County Community College, from the time they submit their application to any point throughout the semester. It is each student’s responsibility to contact the Office for Student Disability Services, as soon as possible, to arrange for reasonable accommodations.

If you wish to request accommodations, please:

■ Complete and submit the Accommodations Request/Inquiry Form
■ Provide documentation.*
■ Work with the Coordinator for Student Disability Services to design appropriate and reasonable accommodations.

Accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis, taking into account course requirements and the nature and severity of the disability.

*Documentation should include:

■ Name, credentials and contact information of the evaluator/provider

■ Diagnostic criteria, testing results, symptoms

■ A description of how the disability impacts student’s ability to access learning, programs and activities at YCCC

Examples of documentation:

¨ Neuropsychological/Psychoeducational testing and report; Statement from psychiatrist, nurse practitioner, physician, physical therapist, occupational therapist speech therapist or other qualified clinical professional involved in student’s care; IEP or 504 plan from High School

Accommodations Request/Inquiry Form

Please note: Accommodations are not retroactive and can take up to two weeks to process; they will begin only after a student has completed the steps necessary for approval.

YCCC is committed to providing equal educational opportunities and access for individuals with disabilities. In conjunction with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and Section 504, the college accepts and provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students with disabilities.


York County Community College has partnered with BetterMynd to offer our students access to online therapy sessions with their diverse network of licensed mental health counselors.

At YCCC, we believe in developing and supporting the success of our students on both a personal and academic level, and we know that this all starts with your mental health and wellness.

Through our partnership with BetterMynd, any YCCC student can now access free online therapy sessions. These live video-sessions are private and confidential, and can take place from the convenience of your laptop or smartphone.


Mental Health and Community Resources

Mental Health Counseling Fall 202#!

YCCC is happy to announce that there will be a mental health counselor on campus this semester! Allison Engelhardt will have appointments available on campus every  Wednesday  11am -2:30pm and Thursday starting at 9:30am for 45-minute sessions. This is a free service, and we encourage you to book ahead of time. Click here to book today!


Would you like to make an appointment? Follow these directions:

1. Go to the ‘Student’ section of the YCCC Portal.
2. Scroll down in ‘Forms and Handouts’ until you see ‘Counseling Intake Paperwork’ and download the file.
3. This form can be completed by filling in the information on your computer, or you can print it out and write in the information by hand.
4. Send the completed form to
5. Once this form has been received, you will receive a booking link where you can schedule your appointment.
We hope you take advantage of this great opportunity to meet with Allison! Have any questions? Email


Mental Health Resources in York County, surrounding areas, and in Maine

Intentional Warm Line

Call 1-866-771-9276
The Intentional Warm Line is available toll-free from anywhere in Maine, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is a mental health peer-to-peer phone support line for adults, aged 18 and older, offering mutual conversations with a trained peer specialist who has life experience with mental health recovery. The focus is to encourage and foster recovery, moving toward wellness and reconnecting with community.

Talk to Someone Now



Call or text 988, the Lifeline network is available 24/7 across the United States

Talk to Someone Now


Maine Statewide Crisis Hotline

1-888-568-1112 (Voice) or 711 (Maine Relay)

The Maine Crisis Hotline helps to stabilize individuals and families while assisting in crisis resolution and action planning. If you are concerned about yourself or about somebody else, call the 24-hour crisis hotline and speak with a trained crisis clinician who can connect you to the closest crisis center.

Get more information


211 Maine

211 Maine is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Maine, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone. This resource comes strongly recommended from Economic Opportunity Caseworkers at YCCAC. Their information appears to be the most up-to-date resource.

Visit 211 Maine website


Sweetser – Maine Mental Health Care Provider

The Sweetser-Maine Mental Health Care Provider website is a nonprofit community mental health provider.

Visit Sweetser website


Nasson Health Care

The Nasson Health Care website provides integrated medical, dental, and behavioral health care. All forms of insurance are welcome, and if you do not have health insurance, they will explore payment options.

Visit Nasson Health Care website


Nasson Health Care: Behavioral Health

Call 207-490-6900 for an appointment and you will be seen within 48 hours.

Visit Nasson Behavioral Health Care website


Maine Behavioral Healthcare

The Maine Behavioral Healthcare website offers a full range of behavioral healthcare from outpatient community services and also offers inpatient services.

Visit Maine Behavioral Healthcare website


Gateway to Mental Health Services

The Gateway to Mental Health Services website provides information and resources to access mental health providers in Maine.

Visit Gateway website





Student Success Commons at York County Community College

112 College Drive Wells, ME 04090


Quick links:  YCCC Homepage  |  MyYCCC Portal  |  Library  |  YCCC Email  |   Brightspace  |  Technical Support